Perfection?

Premise 1: Girls are criticized for either wearing too much or too little makeup.

Why is it that girls are being put down for having their face being a living work of art? Or on the other hand, why are girls being discouraged to embrace their natural beauty? It seems as though people’s beliefs on beauty sways to two sides of a scale; too much or too little and that you can never have the right amount of makeup. In my case my mom tends to be the one telling me not to wear so much makeup because I look prettier without it, however I feel more comfortable wearing makeup and will spend time watching makeup tutorials to improve my technique with painting my face. This is just one small example of how it is difficult for most people to meet in the middle of the scale.

premise 2: This makes some girls feel uncomfortable with expressing their beauty.

Alicia Keys is a strong, confident, gorgeous, independent feminist who has good intentions of promoting self-acceptance by not wearing any makeup and to simply learn to love the body you were born with. In a way, I disagree with how she is promoting it. Don’t get me wrong, Alicia has all the right intentions however, I don’t think she realizes that she is putting down females that are comfortable with their painted face they’re in and the face that gives them pride and self-confidence. Since Alicia is such a huge role model to thousands of girls, this may cause confusion with what they want to look like and/or be seen as and can cause girls to fade into an uncomfortable state of mind not knowing what makes them feel good about themselves. This is an example of girls feeling uncomfortable with expressing their outer beauty.

conclusion:  It almost impossible to accept yourself fully on the outside.

Girls feel as thought they must please our generations standards of airbrushed beauty yet still love all their flaws?? I agree that girls should fully accept themselves as they are but if wearing 62 layers of contour and false lashes makes a girl feel confident and have more pride in themselves that I say do whatever makes you feel comfortable.

Girls should be able to flaunt every bone in their body without feeling discouraged or disappointed with their looks. Every single person has so much potential in their lives and everyone should learn to love the bodies they have developed in to and have confidence, pride and dignity within themselves.

6 Responses to Perfection?

1. Claire says:

Hi, Hope! I’m really glad to see that you took on the topic of “perfection,” as it is something that I believe society struggles with as a whole. The makeup argument is a hard one; you’re right, girls are often ridiculed for either wearing too much makeup or not enough. I feel as though it all comes down to self love: you have the right to feel confident and to be comfortable in whatever you chose, whether that’s wearing makeup or wearing none. The hard part about this argument is that a lot of it comes down to personal thought and opinion. It seems like you are speaking from experience, whether that is personal or through observation. I agree with what you are saying, however there don’t seem to be facts to back it up. The conclusion, while common, is not necessarily something I agree with. For some girls, it is most certainly almost impossible to find acceptance with their outer beauty. However, I do not think this is the case for every girl. It seems to be too wide of a statement, categorizing all girls under the umbrella of “insecure.” I know plenty of girls, most in fact, who are not comfortable with how they look, but I also know many girls who take pride in the way they look and have learned to love themselves as they are. Let me know what you think! I would love to hear back from your point of view.

2. mei123 says:

Hey hope I love this topic. I really like that you’ve added a personal anecdote about your mother. The struggle between too much makeup and too little makeup is so real. To find the connection between wearing makeup and insecurity is observant and valid. Your first premise I agree is true but your second premise that “this makes girls feel uncomfortable with expressing their beauty” is not exactly true to me and I assume it’s not very true for you either. Your mom telling you that you would look better without makeup hasn’t stopped you from putting on makeup everyday (and it shouldn’t)! You express your beauty through makeup. I agree with Claire’s point that this does come down to self love and personally how you feel about yourself. Which brings me to your conclusion, yeah I agree it’s incredibly difficult to find satisfaction in your physical appearance but many girls I know (and myself) are confident in the way they look and wouldn’t change anything about themselves. Perhaps using makeup is not a way to hide your imperfections but to enhance your natural beauty which I believe what girls often do. You are right when you say that at the end of the day, if wearing 62 layers of contour makes you confident, then you do you. But even doing so, you can still love yourself and find self acceptance. This post does summarize a lot of great points about girls wearing too much or too little makeup and I’d love to hear from you! – Mei

3. wallabar says:

Hello!
    Your topic was very eye-catching as the topic of insecurity and perfection is something that haunted me for a while. I really liked how you discussed about how the media expects girls to be confident, yet “flawless”. Although, I feel like the conclusion is generalizing all girls to be insecure. Maybe I’m completely wrong- let me know what you think!

4. MNormzDuh says:

Hey Hope! thank you for bringing up his topic, because I feel from a guy’s perspective sometimes girls especially at the age becoming a teenager kind of feels pressured into always having to look good. Either to impress others or just for self-confidence. I totally agree that girls should have the right to do anything with their own bodies, but I feel order to love your “flaws” first you’d have to love yourself and accept yourself for who you are. Some girls though do feel like they always have to look good because of what our society have developed into. Again than you for bringing up this topic, and I hope to hear from you!

5. jasmin says:

Hi Hope! I really enjoyed reading your post and I appreciate your choice to focus on a topic that is so important to young women and to society as a whole. I do agree that many women (and men) struggle with the concept of self acceptance and self love as a result of societal pressure to meet unrealistic beauty standards. I also very much support the idea that people should feel empowered in their choices regarding make up and whether or not they choose to wear it. My disagreement with your argument comes with the conclusion that it is almost impossible to fully accept yourself and your outer appearance. I believe this is completely possible! While there is no doubt many obstacles that a young person may face on their journey to self acceptance, I believe it is possible to unlearn the attitudes that have led us toward self-hatred in the first place, allowing us to overcome our battles with self love and ultimately learn to accept ourselves. That said, I would love to hear what you think! I was very intrigued by this post as a whole and would love to discuss it with you further!

6. Kamakshi says:

Hi Hope! I really enjoyed your post because I think this topic is so relevant in our society and social culture – expressing ourselves with or without exposing physical “flaws” that we see in ourselves, that are often fabricated by beauty standards of today really comes down to what makes us feel most comfortable. As you said, “Every single person has so much potential in their lives and everyone should learn to love the bodies they have developed in to and have confidence, pride and dignity within themselves.” I love this because I think it’s so important to feel comfortable in our own skin and love our bodies for what they are, I realize this is easier said than done, but I think this is something we should strive for because it would impact us both physically, and emotionally as well. I think our insecurities about our physical “imperfections” often originate from the influence of the media which sometimes present unrealistic standards and expectations which could negatively affect how we feel about our individual bodies, attacking our confidence and body positivity. In your conclusion you present the ideal belief that women should be able to be confident in their self-image and the way they present themselves, and I think this idea could apply to everyone who is a part of our society and social culture as well. Our physical appearance can reflect our emotional state, and being comfortable in our individuality may transform the way we are perceived, and how we perceive ourselves and our daily experiences. Thank you for your post!